Thursday, September 6, 2012

Disney Flashback Marathon Blog Journal Entry

So, this past Labor Day Weekend I finally got to go home after being away from it since May 26th 2012. And what was one of the things I did? I watched old videos of my favorite animated Disney movies and when I say "videos" I actually mean the videocassette tapes. I did this because i don't have a VCR with me at college and we don't own any DVDs of them that I could bring with me to school. I also wanted to compare them to live action movies in the way that they are filmed, close-ups, different cuts, musical numbers, and the animation itself.

 I watched Disney movie #1 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, which was released as the first ever animated feature length film in 1937,

#12 Cinderella released in 1950



#16 Sleeping Beauty released in 1959










#28 The Little Mermaid released in 1989



#30 Beauty and the Beast released in 1991



#33 Pocahontas released in 1995

















 I also watched Pocahontas II: Journey to a New World which was released directly to video in 1998 and therefore not on the list of Disney's classics.

























#35 Hercules released in 1997















#36 Mulan released in 1998





Click here to go to the list of the Disney Animated Classics and watch the video celebrating all 50 movies since the release of Tangled which is the 50th Disney Animated Classic:

http://collider.com/50-disney-animated-films-list-video/61997/

Note: This is not my film review since, if I were to review all of these movies, my blog would be a hundred pages long. Look for my movie review of Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame, released in 1996 as #34 in the list of Disney classics, in my next post.

By far my favorite Disney movie is Beauty and the Beast, so therefore, it was the one I watched first and it was the one I compared every other Disney film to. I was surprised when I went back to Snow White and found that the animation in that film was just about the same as all the others, of course the later movies had led to new innovations so that they were marginally better but I was surprised at how much animation has NOT changed over the years. Another one of my favorite things about disney movies is their music. It is always, without question, the best and therefore it makes the movie even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment